Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Um. Err. Uhh.

I am terrified of public speaking.  Moreover, I am someone who is not naturally inclined with this ability.  In fact, in front of a group, I tend to lose all ability to communicate like a normal person.  Unfortunately, my job sometimes requires me to do a little bit of public speaking.  So, when the opportunity presented itself to attend a professional development course designed to improve public speaking skills, I signed up.  The course took place this morning, and as as you might expected, involved completing a number of exercises meant to hone public speaking skills.  This was all fine and dandy when I was sitting at the conference table engaging in back and forth dialogue.  However, at the end of the course, we all went through the exercise of standing up as individuals and giving an impromptu formal speech in front of the class.  When it was my turn, I proceeded to do every single thing that they had taught us not to.  I said "ummm" so many times that I even distracted myself from what I was saying.  And I kind of danced back and forth as I stood in place.  And I used my hands inappropriately.  And my eyes bounced around the room so quickly that I looked like I was on crack and had no ability to hold eye contact with anyone.  I was without a doubt the worst in the class.  It was awesome, in a completely awkward and humiliating sort of a way.

So what does any of this have to do with my marathon training?  Well in short, this morning's experience is what I mulled over for the last 50 minutes as I ran to nowhere on the treadmill.  But on the positive side, I was so distracted by my thoughts and reliving the horror of the morning, I plowed through the run like it was nothing.  Perhaps before I do the Marine Corps Marathon, I'll steal the mic from whoever is starting the race and give a little speech all about me.  No doubt that would fuel me to finish the race in 3 hours.  Go me!

Miles logged: 5.65
Miles I was supposed to log: 3
Pace: 9:15 / mile

No comments:

Post a Comment